Editing your query
This section will instruct you on how to access configuration options in the Query Builder. The Query Builder is the primary location for building and customizing your queries. For information on all available customization features, see Customization options.
Editing your query on a dashboard
On a dashboard you can either edit only the query configuration options from the Chart configuration menu (see Customizing your chart) or open the query in the Query Builder.
- Click the Dashboards library icon ().
- Open the dashboard containing the query you would like to edit.
- Click on the query.
- Click the down arrow in the upper right corner.
- Select from the following editing options:
- Edit configuration: Customize only the report appearance using the Chart configuration menu (). For information on customization tools , see Customizing your chart.
- Edit query: Access all editing options, including adding new data and changing the chart type. You will be redirected to the Query Builder.
Editing a query in the Query Builder
If you do not have your query added to a dashboard or are not working on a dashboard, you can edit your query in the Query Builder.
- Click the Queries library icon () on the left toolbar.
- Hover over the query you would like to edit.
- Click the Settings icon () or click the query.
- Select Edit from the Settings drop-down list.
You will be redirected to the Query Builder.
Changing your chart type
You can select from over 25 chart types in Explore (see Visualization types reference). Explore will automatically select a chart type, based on the metrics and attribute you add. You can select a new chart type in the Visualization type menu. The Visualization type menu is the first icon on the right panel and will either reflect your selected chart type or the Auto icon (), if you have not manually selected a chart.
- Select your query from the Queries library to open the Query Builder.
- Click the Visualization type icon.
- Select a new chart type.
For information on the different chart types available, see Visualization types reference.
- Click the Visualization type icon again to close the menu.
Your query will now be displayed in the selected chart type.
Editing your metrics and attributes
You can rename elements, organize and create folders, and set attribute permissions in the Data structure menu (). The Data structure menu is useful for editing your metrics and attributes after importing data.
You can perform the following actions in the Data structure menu, by clicking the drop-down arrow next to an element name:
- Security: Restrict the values viewer groups can analyze (see Setting attribute permissions).
- Reset display name: Set an element's edited name back to the original imported name.
- Create a group: Divide the attribute values into segments. This will create a new, calculated attribute with the groups as the attribute values (see Creating groups).
- Create a set: Create a new, calculated attribute containing selected values from the original attribute (see Creating a set).
- Create a renamed set: Enter new names for the attribute values. This will create a new, calculated attribute (see Creating a renamed set).
- Create an ordered set: Change the order of your attribute values. This will create a new, calculated attribute (see Creating an ordered set).
In addition to the actions above you can rename elements (see Editing metric and attribute names) and create, organize, and delete element folders (see Adding and organizing metric and attribute folders).
Customizing your chart
In Explore you can edit the color, text, and interactions of your query. All of these options are available in the Chart configuration menu (). The Chart configuration menu contains customization options unique for each chart type (see Visualization types reference). While some customization options apply to all charts, others are only visible for specific chart types. This section will discuss both types of options.
Customization options available for all charts:
- Chart: Edit options specific for individual chart types. The chart type contains options to edit the formatting of your chart. If your chart does not have axes, you can edit text size here.
- Colors: Edit your chart text and result colors. If you are the account owner, you can set the default color in the Admin menu.
- Display format: Change the formatting of your results to percentages, currency, timestamps, or custom formats. See Changing your result format for more information.
- Legend: Edit the location, visibility, and colors of your legend.
- Datatips: Display information about your results when a user hovers over a data point (see Adding datatips to your query).
- Visualization Selector: Add the Visualization Selector to your chart. The Visualization Selector permits users to toggle between different chart types on a dashboard.
- Interactions: Enable or disable interactions (see Turning off dashboard and query interactivity).
- Applied filters: Show or hide filters from viewers.
Customization options restricted to specific chart types:
- X axis, Y axis, Secondary axes: Edit axes settings, such as color, visibility, and label size. You can edit a secondary axes if you add a metric on a dual axis (see Adding metrics to a dual axis).
- Columns: Edit the width, visibility, and alignment for table columns. For information on customizing tables, see Customizing tables.