In Explore there are three different types of user roles available for you and your agents. You can set an agent's user role when adding them to Explore or change it later in Zendesk Support (see Adding users to Explore). There are three available user roles are editors, admins, and viewers.
About Explore user roles
This section will define the Explore user roles and discuss the functionalities available for each.
Editor is the most appropriate role for your users that need to create new or collaborate on dashboards and queries. Editors cannot edit any account settings.
- Create and customize new dashboards, queries, and datasets.
- Edit created and shared dashboards, queries, and datasets.
Note: Admins must grant the editor permission to edit a dashboard or dataset in Admin()>Editor authorizations(). Enabling this permission will also give editors access to all datasets and queries used on the dashboard.
- Share dashboards with viewer groups.
- Set dashboard email delivery schedules (see Sharing dashboards through email) .
Admins have all of the permissions of editors, but with a few advanced options.
The admin role has the following additional privileges:
- Update editor permissions to dashboard, queries, and datasets. This includes changing their own permissions, even if the dashboard has not been shared with them (see Setting editor and admin permissions in Explore).
- Change the default colors for charts and color-encoded metrics.
- Edit Excel settings when exporting dashboards. This includes column and tab separators, decimal precision, decimal separator, and thousands separator.
- Enable or disable access to the account by our customer service team.
Viewers cannot edit or create dashboards. They will only be able to view dashboards shared with them and cannot view individual queries or datasets. Viewers are not included in the Editor authorizations (), as they do not have any additional permissions available.
Editors and admins can share their dashboards with viewers by selecting their Zendesk Support group. There is no way to check a viewer's Zendesk Support group in Explore; you must navigate back to Zendesk Support.
Viewers access all of their shared dashboards via the Dashboard portal. The Dashboard portal is similar to the Dashboards library, but does not contain the option to create a new dashboard. The Dashboard portal will open automatically when viewers select the Explore icon () from the product tray.
Selecting the correct user role
If you are having trouble identifying the correct user role for an agent, this section provides some sample questions to consider. If you already know the appropriate user role, see Adding Explore users and setting permissions.
- Should this user be able to create and edit dashboards, queries, and datasets? If you would like a user to be able to build and edit dashboards, queries, and datasets, you should add them as either an editor or admin.
- Should this user be able to access all dashboards, queries, and datasets without sharing? If you would like a user to be able to edit dashboards, queries, and datasets without you sharing them first, you should add them as an admin. Admins can manage their own permissions in Admin()>Editor authorizations().
- Should this user only be able to view the dashboards I share? If you would like to restrict a user to only view shared dashboards, you should add them as a viewer. For information on sharing dashboards, see Sharing dashboards.
- Should this user be able to manage the permissions of other users? If you would like a user to be able to grant or restrict permissions for other Explore users, you should add them as an admin. For information on restricting permissions, see Setting editor and admin permissions in Explore.
- Should this user be able to edit other account settings? If you would like to permit a user to edit settings, like Excel export format and your default chart colors, you should add them as an admin.