Zendesk Explore's pre-built dashboards provide you with queries that analyze your most important Zendesk Support data. However, sometimes these queries and dashboards might not be customized to suit your teams needs. While you can create completely new, empty queries, in some instances it might be easier to customize the pre-built queries directly. For example, if the pre-built query is measuring the data you need, but is not in the desired colors.
Allowing pre-built dashboards to be editable
You can only view the queries on Zendesk Explore's pre-built dashboards. To be able to modify the queries, you must first make the dashboards editable. You can make dashboard editable by duplicating them. When you duplicate a pre-built dashboard, all queries and connections will also be imported into your Zendesk Explore account.
You can duplicate a dashboard in the Dashboards library(), by selecting Clone from the Settings () drop-down list to the right of the dashboard name. For more information on duplicating dashboards, see Duplicating pre-built and shared dashboards.
Customizing queries on your dashboard
After you have duplicated your pre-built dashboard, you can customize the queries from the pre-built dashboards. Customization options differ depending on the visualization you're using, and for more advanced customization options you will need to edit the query in the Query Builder.
There are a limited number of customization options available when you edit a query from a dashboard. For more advanced customization options you will need to edit the query in the Query Builder. See Customizing your chart for more detailed information.
- Chart: Edit options specific for individual visualizations (see Visualization types reference). The chart menu contains options for formatting your chart. If your chart does not have axes, you can edit text size here.
- Colors: Edit your chart text and result colors. If you are the account owner, you can set the default color in the Admin menu (see Editing Explore account settings).
- Display format: Change the formatting of your results to percentages, currency, timestamps, or custom formats. See Changing your result format for more information.
- Legend: Edit the location, visibility, and colors of your legend.
- Datatips: Display information about your results when a user hovers over a data point (see Adding datatips to your query).
- Trend line: Add a trend line to your results or edit trend line settings (see Displaying a metric's results as a trend line).
- Applied filters: Edit any of the filter settings for the query.
- Visualization Selector: Add the Visualization Selector to your chart. The Visualization Selector permits users to toggle between different visualizations on a dashboard.
- Interactions: Enable or disable interactions (see Turning off dashboard and query interactivity).
- Decompose and Drillthrough: Edit how you drill-in to your data in Explore (see Interacting with queries).
- Explosion: If you added attributes to Explosions, you can edit the query display settings (see Adding attributes to Explosions).
Customization options restricted to specific chart types:
- X axis, Y axis, Secondary axes: Edit axes settings, such as color, visibility, and label size. You can edit a secondary axes if you add a metric on a dual axis (see Adding metrics to a dual axis).
- Columns: Edit the width, visibility, and alignment for table columns. For information on customizing tables, see Customizing tables.
Modifying your query
After you duplicate the dashboard, you can select a report to modify. You can modify your report using the any of customization options listed above. See Editing your query on a dashboard for more detailed information.
You can customize a query on a dashboard, by clicking the down arrow on the query's right corner, then selecting Edit configuration.
Try it yourself: Customize your query from a pre-built dashboard
This try it yourself will walk you through how to customize the colors of the Ticket channel overview query on the Zendesk Support Overview pre-built dashboard. You can use the steps in this section for any query you want to modify.
- Open your editable dashboard. See Allowing pre-built dashboards to be editable for information.
- Click the query you want to edit.
- Click the down arrow in the upper right corner of the query.
- Select Edit configuration. If you want to perform calculations or edit the query data, click Edit query.
- Select the customization option you want to perform (see Customizing your chart). This example uses Colors.
- Edit your query customization. This example changes the Chat attribute color to orange.
- Click outside of the widget when finished.
- After you finish editing your dashboard and queries, click Publish changes. Your dashboard will be updated. For more information on publishing options see Sharing dashboards.
The next article in this getting started tutorial will instruct you on how to build your own dashboards in Explore. See Getting started with dashboards to proceed onto the next section. If you are interested in creating new, empty queries, see Getting started creating custom queries. To view another article in the getting started guide, see the Getting started guide index.
See Getting started with dashboards to proceed onto the next section.