The default aggregator for many metrics is SUM, that adds all results together, but you can select a different aggregator to change how your results are calculated. Use this article to find out how to select a new aggregator to calculate the average, median, variance, and more.
To change the metric aggregator
- In Query Builder, add a metric to the Metrics panel.
- Click the metric you added.
- From the list, select a new aggregator.
The available aggregators will differ depending on the metric you choose:
- AVG: The average (mean) of all results.
- COUNT: The simple count of all results.
- MIN: The smallest result.
- MAX: The largest result.
- DCOUNT: The number of different values (the distinct count).
- MED: The median of all results.
- VARIANCE: The variance of all results.
- STD_DEV: The standard deviation of all results.
- To save the new metric aggregator, click Apply.
The COUNT and DCOUNT aggregators are useful for dealing with IDs or reference numbers. For example, you would probably never want to see the total (SUM) of Submitter or Requester IDs. You can use the DCOUNT aggregator to total the number of results, rather than sum the actual values.