The default view for your metrics is SUM, but you can select a different aggregator to change how your results are calculated. This article will instruct you on how select a new aggregator to calculate the average, median, variance, and more.
Note: If you would like to set a new aggregator to be automatically used when you add a metric to a query or would like to prevent specified aggregators from being selected, see Setting a metric's default and visible aggregators
To change your metric aggregator
- In the Query Builder, add your metric to Metrics.
- Click on your metric.
- Select a new aggregator.
The available aggregators are:
- AVG: The average (mean) of all results.
- COUNT: The simple count of all results.
- MIN: The smallest result.
- MAX: The largest result.
- DCOUNT: The number of different values (the distinct count).
- MED: The median of all results.
- VARIANCE: The variance of all results.
- STD_DEV: The standard deviation of all results.
- Click Apply to save the new metric aggregator.
The COUNT and DCOUNT aggregators are useful for dealing with IDs or reference numbers. For example, you would probably never want to see the total (SUM) of Submitter or Requester IDs. You can use the DCOUNT aggregator to total the number of results, rather than sum the actual values.