In Explore, you can calculate the total of all your results or subtotals for individual categories using the Totals result manipulation. The image below shows the number of replies for each individual month using subtotals, then the combined total for all months using grand totals. These totals are calculated using the summation aggregator, so Sum is used as the label for the total and subtotals rows.
For more information on result manipulations and a full list of the available result manipulations in Explore, see Result manipulations reference.
To add totals
- In the Result manipulation menu (), select Totals.
- Select the placement for grand and subtotals. Your selection should be based on your attribute location. For example, if you have attributes added on Columns, you should calculate your totals on Columns as well.
- Select an aggregator from the Aggregator drop-down list.
Depending on the aggregator you select your totals will be represented differently. For example if you select the AVG aggregator, the average of the total will be shown.Important: If you would like to use a different aggregator than SUM, you must check Visual totals under Advanced options.
- Check Visual totals to calculate results for non-additive totals. If you want to use a different totals aggregator than sum, you must check Visual totals, or else the totals will still reflect the sum of your results no matter the aggregator applied.
- Check Calculate all subtotals to view a full breakdown of your totals.
- Check Inverse total position to position your totals row or column as the first result.
- Click Apply. The totals filter will automatically be added to the Filters bar.