You can view your available customization options on the toolbar at the top of the Dashboard Builder. All of these options are initially collapsed, except the Dashboard menu. If you have not created a new dashboard yet see, Adding a new dashboard.
This article contains the following sections:
The tab and widget menus are where you will find most of the customization options; however, you can customize the dashboard title in Dashboard title and use formatting actions in Dashboard.
- Select either Dashboard or Dashboard title, depending on which area you would like to customize.
Most of the options in Dashboard are for building and publishing your dashboard. Only the last four are actions you can use when customizing.
- Paint format copies a widget's formatting to apply to other widgets.
- Paint size applies formatting to a selected area of your dashboard.
- Hide outline of the tab bar removes the border around tabs.
- Snap to grid displays a grid to help you align your widgets. You can change the square size. Grid will not appear on published dashboard.
- Deliver schedules an email delivery of the dashboard. You must have already published changes for this icon to appear.
- Clone creates a copy of the dashboard.
- Background color applies the selected color as the background of the dashboard. If you do not select a dashboard title fill color, the background color will be displayed.
- Dashboard width increases or decreases the width percentage of your dashboard.
- Title fill color applies the selected color as the background for your title.
- Title text color applies the selected color to the title text.
- Title font size applies the selected text size to the title.
- Title size sets the height of the title. Your text size will not be altered.
- Title width sets the width of your title. If your title has a custom background color, the portion of the title not included in the width will be Explore's default color. If your title text is longer than the title width, the text will be cut off.
- Image add an image from your computer, Web search, via URL, Google drive, Dropbox, or Box. A remove image icon will appear after.
Below is an example of a customized title
Everything you add to a dashboard exists as a widget. You can customize a widget's header or a widget's formatting. If you have not added a widget yet, see Adding and arranging dashboard widgets. You must click the widget for these menus to appear.
To customize your widgets
- Select the widget you would like to customize.
- Select either Widget options or Widget header, depending on what you would like to customize.
- Widget header fill color applies the selected color as the background for your widget header.
- Widget header text color applies the selected color to the header text.
- Widget header font size applies the selected text size to the header.
- Bold, Italic, Underline sets the formatting for the header text.
- Left-justify, center, right-justify sets the header text to the selected position.
In addition to the header, you can edit other widget formatting. You can customize widget formatting by opening Widget options.
Below are the available widget formatting options from left to right:
- Hide/show header remove or add a header to the widget.
- Header size sets the header's height. Your header text size will not be altered. There is no width option for a widget header; headers will automatically adjust to the widget width.
- Border color applies the selected color to the widget border.
- Hide border removes or adds a border to the widget.
- Rounded edges sets how far widget corners are rounded inwards.
- Widget position sets the width and height of a widget, as well as its location on the dashboard.
- Background color applies the selected color as the widget's background.
- Hide loading icon removes the icon displayed while widgets are retrieving data from your dataset.
Below is an example of a customized widget:
You can customize the tab currently selected. If you have multiple tabs, you will need to select the other tab to customize it.
- Select the tab you would like to customize. To add multiple tabs, see Adding widgets.
- Click Tab options on the toolbar.
Below are the available tab options from left to right.
- Size: Fit to one screen resizes your tab to fill the screen. If you deselect the fit to one screen option, you will be able to enter custom sizes in the tab dimension menu.
- Automatically reorganize widgets reorganizes your widgets to fill the entire tab. Before you reorganize widgets, a warning dialog will appear to confirm your selection.
- Tab dimension applies custom dimensions to your tab. This will only appear if you have deselected the fit to one screen option.
- Interaction options removes tab interactivity to permit public sharing (see Turning off data interactivity).
- Export options sets the permitted formats for the tab when the dashboard is exported.
- Slide options sets the widget order when slide-show mode is enabled (see Displaying widgets as slides).
- Tab fill color, Tab font color applies the selected colors to your tab background and text.
- Duplicate creates an exact copy of your tab in the current dashboard or another dashboard (see Copying widgets and tabs across different locations). All widgets on the tab will be duplicated as well.
If you have added a text widget to your dashboard, you can customize the text formatting. Unlike the other customization options in the dashboard builder, there is no toolbar menu for customizing text. Instead select the text you want to customize by right clicking and dragging your mouse over a section of text or by double clicking a word.
The text customization options will appear as a pop up under your highlighted word or selection.
- Bold adds bold formatting to your text.
- Italics italicizes your text.
- Underline adds a line underneath your text.
- Text color changes the color of your text.
- Hyperlink renders the selected text as a link. You will need to enter a URL after clicking the hyperlink option.
- List orders your texts in a numbered list. Every time you press enter, a new line will be added with the next sequential number.
- Bullets adds bullet points in front of each new line of text.
- Position opens a drop-down menu where you can select to justify your text to start a the left side, right side, or center of the text widget.
- Text size increases or decrease the size of your text.
- Default resets your text back to Explore's original formatting.