To use Explore, your agents need to be licensed (see Explore pricing), and given access. Explore features four user roles you can configure to help secure your reports and business information.
- Editors can create custom reports and dashboards. This is the default role assigned to new users.
- Admins have all the same abilities as editors, but can manage viewers and permissions as well.
- Viewers can view and interact with pre-built and shared dashboards.
- No access cannot view or access Explore.
You control access to Explore using two methods, the default role, and Explore permissions.
This article contains the following topics:
Understanding the default role
The default role is configured on the admin page of Explore. This role is applied to an agent when they first connect to Explore and permissions have not been set in Zendesk Support.
Example: You imported agents from a CSV file so no permissions to Explore are applied. When the agent first signs on, they are applied the Explore default role.
Understanding Explore permissions
Explore permissions are configured in the agent profile in Zendesk Support. Explore permissions are configured by an admin and override any default role that has been previously applied.
If you turn off the Explore switch in the agent’s profile, they will lose access to Explore regardless of any other access settings.
Best practices for adding users
The following best practices will help you best manage your agents access to Explore:
- Always set the default role: When agents are added in bulk, for example from a CSV file, you’ll have set a base level of access. If you need to, you can modify access for selected users from their agent profile later.
- Always review Explore permissions when you add an agent: When you manually add an agent from Zendesk Support, or view the profile of an agent who has not yet accessed Explore, and you don’t change any permissions, the agent will have access to Explore, and the Editor role. If you don’t want the agent to have that level of access, the best time to change it is when you first create the profile.
Configuring the default user role
To change the default Explore user role
- In Explore, click the admin icon ().
- The Dashboard email delivery page opens. From the menu on this page, click the account information icon ().
- From the Default Explore role drop-down list, choose the role you want to apply by default to all new Explore users, or choose No access if you want to manually give access to new users.
- When you are finished, click Update account.
Configuring user permissions
To configure user permissions
- In the Zendesk Support sidebar, click the Admin icon ().
- Select Manage > People.
- Select the user you want to configure.
- Make sure that the Explore switch is to On. You can also turn this off to stop a user from accessing Explore.
- In the Role drop-down list, choose the user permissions you want.
- Repeat the steps for other users you want to configure.